These are delicious onion fritters that I have made many times! This batter would also be great for onion rings! It’s so light and crisp!
Onion patties are quick and easy to make and come from the Amish. They make great appetizers and snacks. Serve onion patties with ketchup, salsa, ranch dressing or any other kind of dip you and your family like. These patties taste a lot like fried onion rings. You could double or triple the recipe if serving a large crowd. They can be reheated and will keep for several days refrigerated. I fry these onion patties just like I would my fried cornbread.
- 3/4 c flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tsp salt-according to taste
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 1/2 c chopped onions
- oil for frying
1. Mix together dry ingredients.
2. add milk and stir.
3. batter will be thick.
4. add onions and mix thoroughly.
5. heat 1/2 inch oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
6. drop batter by tablespoons in hot oil, flatten slightly, brown on both sides until nice and crisp.
7. drain on paper towels.
8. serve warm.