This no-bake easy chocolate eclair cake is the recipe my mom used to make, and one of my family’s favorites. Inspired by the chocolate eclair cake Portillo’s serves, it comes together in about ten minutes—all you have to do is make it the day before you need it, put it down on the table with some forks, and get out of the way.
This cake used to be one of the most popular desserts at the potlucks of my childhood, so I thought it deserved a revisit.
You don’t have to be a baker to layer graham crackers with pudding and whipped topping, and then slather everything in rich chocolate frosting.
Overnight, the refrigerator does all the hard work for you, softening those layers into a perfectly sweet, creamy, chocolatey cake that tastes like you worked much harder than you did.
- 2 (3.4 oz) packages Vanilla Instant Pudding mix, dry
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 12 oz. cool whip
- 2 (14.4) oz packages graham crackers
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Blend milk and vanilla pudding packets for about 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip. In a 9×13 pan, Layer graham crackers to cover entire bottom of pan. You may need to cut and shape the crackers to fit nicely. Pour half of pudding/cool whip mixture on top and level. Put another layer of graham crackers to cover entire surface. Cut and shape crackers accordingly. Put the second half of pudding/cool whip mixture on top and level.
- Put the final layer of graham crackers on top with bumpy side down.
This will help the top look more smooth when you go to put the frosting
on top. Once again, cut and shape crackers accordingly to avoid pits and cracks. FOR
- THE FROSTING: Microwave butter and milk just enough so that they are melted together. You do not need to boil it. Add cocoa and powdered sugar and blend together. This will be a runnier frosting/glaze. Pour over top of graham crackers and smooth out nicely.
(**I usually double the frosting recipe) Refrigerate overnight and Dig in!