Bread is one of our favorite recipes to make because they quickly come together – you can quickly whip together numerous different variations once you get the gist of it down – and they’re the ideal snack regardless of the time of day.
I know my family loves love cream cheese because it adds money, keeps our loaves moist, and has a fantastic overall flavor, so it was just a matter of finding out what other flavors we wanted to put in. It wasn’t a tough decision, as citrus fruits are currently in season, so we decided to go with some juicy oranges. We got to work and make up this perfect dessert with fresh juice and zest, along with a little boost from orange peel.
Trust me, it is the ideal sweet and tart combination, complete with plenty of orange zest, for even more flavor.
- (1) (8 oz) pkg cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 2/3 c granulated sugar
- (2) eggs
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp grated orange peel
- 1/4 c orange juice
- Add and combine cream cheese and shortening, cream well.
- Add sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
- Then add eggs, beat well after each addition.
- Add and combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture, alternate with milk, to creamed mixture.
- Add milk alternately with flour ending with flour mixture. Don’t forget to mix well every addition.
- Add and stir in walnuts and orange peel.
- Then add and pour batter into (2) greased and floured 8-1/2x 4-1/2×3 inch loaf pans.
- Bake it for 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted at the center of the bread comes out clean at 375 degrees F.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Add and sprinkle orange juice over
the loaves, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.